Open Zero Payments
This report will display any ERA that contains a zero payment amount. While this often represents a denial, it also represents situations in which the primary insurance didn't pay simply because the patient has a deductible amount and was sent to the patient's secondary insurance.
To work your open denials:
- Navigate to e-EOB > Open Zero Payments.
- Select a Company and User, if needed.
- Click Run Report. The results will be displayed.
Important: You should work ERAs with a Release Date first to avoid issues with posting payments to accounts with a remaining deductible. To quickly place unreleased ERAs at the bottom of the list, click the Release Date header twice.
To view the specific patients and service lines that have been denied, select the Details link on the desired ERA. The claim details will be shown. Just like a paper EOB, denial/reason codes are defined in the Remark and Adjustment Code section at the bottom of the page.
Was the ERA denied for being a duplicate? Verify it was posted in your old billing system and close the ERA.
- On the far-right, there is a Notes field. The number of characters allowed is limited so we recommend leaving Account Notes when you take any action to resolve a denied charge.
- After you have reviewed the denial and have taken the appropriate action to resolve the charge, you can close each line item individually by clicking the Close checkbox. Alternatively, you can click Select All, followed by selecting Update.
- RevFlow will automatically notate an account whose electronic denial was closed. The note will include the Check # of the ERA, the username that closed the line, and a timestamp.