Posting Payment Refunds
Patient refunds are generated when a patient overpays their account. Refunds issued to patients are posted under Unassigned Payments.
Note: You can only create a refund if there is a credit on a patient’s account.
Accessing Unassigned Payments
Open the Payment menu and select Unassigned Payments.
Unassigned Payments Layout
The page is divided into two sections:
- Upper - This is where you enter the payment/refund information
- Lower - Displays past payments/refunds that have been posted on the patient’s account
Unassigned Payments - Upper Section
To enter a patient refund, you must enter the following information:
- Trans. Type: Select PATIENT REFUND
- Payment Code: Select REFUND PATIENT
- Amount: Enter the refund amount as a negative number
- Ins. Code: Select 0 - Patient
- Copay Unassigned/Total: The refund amount must be less than or equal to the available credit
Once the information is entered, click Add.
Unassigned Payments - Lower Section
The refund shows in the lower section once you click Add in the upper section.
Important: When posting a patient refund, the credit is removed from the account. If you delete a patient refund, the original payment that was removed will need to be reposted.