Post an Insurance Refund
Let’s review how to post an insurance refund, which can also be referred to as a withholding or retraction. There are two types of insurance refunds, but they are posted the same within the application:
- Clinic: A check was written by your clinic and sent to the insurance
- Insurance: An EOB amount was reduced by the amount of the refund
In order to post a refund, you must be familiar with how to post payments using the Standard Payment page.
Posting Insurance Refunds
Locate which Date of Service the overpayment is applied. You can do this by:
- Reviewing all charges under Payment > Add Payments
- Reviewing all charges under Payment > Add/Edit Patient/Ins Credits
- Reviewing the patient’s Ledger Visit
Once you locate the date of service or where the payment is applied, follow the same steps you would normally follow to post an insurance payment.
- Open the Payment menu and select Batch Payments.
- From the Payment Type drop-down select Standard Payment.
- Indicate the Account #, Insurance, and Date of Service range. Remember, the charges might currently be open to another insurance or due by the patient.
- Select OK.
- Select Refund Insurance for the Payment Code and AREF - Refund Adjustment for the Adjustment Code.
- Enter the refund amount as a negative number in the EOB $ field and for each Pay field.
- Ensure the Adj column is zero. If there is a credit balance remaining, assign it to the appropriate insurance in the xFerIns/Place of Service column.
- Click Save.