Account Notes and Sticky Notes
There are four methods of communication available when working with patient accounts:
- Patient Comments
- Account Notes
- Sticky Notes
- Auto-generated Notes
When adding or editing a patient, you can enter a Patient Comment.
If a comment exists, the patient’s name and account number will be shown in yellow. Hovering over the patient name will display the comment.
The Account Notes tab on the Patient Information page is used to document account follow-up.
RevFlow includes a username and date stamp on every account note and displays them in date order, with the most recent note listed first.
To add a new note:
- Click Add New Note at the bottom of the page.
- In the Note field, enter the information you wish to document on the patient’s account.
- Next, you must select the appropriate Note Code. The Sticky drop-down is optional. For more information on Note Codes and Sticky Notes, see the below sections.
- Select Save.
Important: Once an Account Note is saved, it cannot be edited. Double-check that the information is correct before you save.
RevFlow restricts access to view notes depending on your user type (clinic staff or billing staff.) The note code you assign determines which users will be able to view the note. There seven Note Codes to choose from; however, there are three that are used most often when following-up on outstanding accounts: Status, Info, and Misc.
- Status: This code is viewable by ALL user types. This code should be used when documenting an account follow-up that will result in the resolution of an outstanding balance. This note drives the results on the Account Without Payment and Without Status Note report. If this note is used incorrectly, that report will be less effective. While Clinic and Billing users can use this code, only those Account Notes added by Billing users with the Status code will appear on the Account Without Payment and Without Status Note report.
- Info: This code is viewable by ALL user types. Info should be used to document something that is not related to the resolution of an account but needs to be viewable by all users. An Info note does not impact the Account Without Payment and Without Status Note report.
- Misc: This code is only viewable by Billing users.
Sticky Notes are a special type of Account Note that can be added to alert you to important information regarding an account. This appears as a sticky note icon in the Patient Header. Clinic and Billing users can add these notes. When creating an account note, select the note type from the Sticky drop-down.
Types of Sticky Notes
These notes will display in different parts of the system depending on your selection. For example, a Payment sticky note will display on the Payment Entry page.
Important: If a Payment Sticky Note is attached to a patient’s account, insurance payments are unable to be auto-posted.
For example, if a patient is experiencing a financial hardship and your clinic is legally allowed to reduce the patient responsibility once the insurance has paid the claim, you will want to add a Payment Sticky Note indicating such. When the system fails to post the e-EOB, the charges will appear on the Released EOBs Report. You will then have the ability to manually post the insurance payments and write-off the desired portion of the remaining balance at the same time.
Removing a Sticky Note
- Click once on the note to select it.
- Select Remove Sticky.
When specific actions are done, RevFlow will auto-generate an Account Note that includes a date stamp and username. Below is a list of actions that will create an auto-generated note.
- Closing a Zero EOB
- Adding an “NS” to an account (NS = No Statement, primarily used if a patient is in collections and shouldn’t receive a statement).
- Demanding a patient statement
- Demanding a patient letter
- Updating the collection flag
- Updating the payment plan flag